Dufferin Mutual Insurance Company

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, deadly gas that can be released by common household appliances. Many people who are killed or injured are asleep at the time of exposure. It does not wake you; it puts you into a deeper sleep, and prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage, and ultimately, death.

Carbon Monoxide is known as "the great imitator" because the low levels of poisoning mimic flu or food poisoning symptoms. Mis-diagnosis can send a person unwittingly back to a hazardous environment. Several clues that will alert you are: headaches, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea and vomiting, confusion, disorientation, loss of muscle control, sleepiness but never feeling rested, rapid heart beat or pulse, a tightening of the chest, chest pain when exercising, fainting, unconsciousness, feeling sick and tired at home, but fine once you leave the house.

Heating appliances (gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal) are major sources of the deadly gas. The gas can leak into the home because of incomplete combustion when a fuel burning device is poorly maintained, improperly vented or simply break down. A car left running in an attached garage can leak deadly gases into the home.

For maximum protection it is recommended that you have 2 Carbon Monoxide detectors in your home. One in the furnace room and the other near sleeping areas (price range $30.00 to $70.00).

802 Main St E Unit 4, Shelburne, Ontario. Canada. L9V 2Z5
Tel: 519 925 2026 • Toll Free: 800 265.9115
Fax: 519 925 3357
email: info@dufferinmutual.com
© Dufferin Mutual Insurance Company 2021